Saturday 1 October 2011

Study China Easter 2011

Study China, one of the best experiences of my life! It came with a number of great memories friends but also came with some negatives.

As you can see the sights and scenery in China is stunning. If you go to the right places especially!! 

Even though there were some good memories..there were some bad. I originally went with my best friend and were literally as close as can be. I was soo excited to go there with her and could not wait to take off and get there. But on the way back, after 3 weeks it was the opposite..I could tell something had changed and it was not for the better.

To begin with it was fine...we were meeting new people and getting to know the group but after a while things changed and I was not the only one to notice this. I felt left out and to an extent/cut off and isolated from her. It isn't the best feeling especially when you're miles away from home. What really hurt is that she would just go off and leave me and not think to ask me along or save me a place when we did activities or had lunch. It kinda hurt to think, I would have done this for you but why couldn't you just save one seat for me? It also makes me think back and ask myself what did I actually do while I was there for her to act like that? I know I wasn't going crazy because friends noticed it too. Those who were on the trip and those who weren't....

When we got back from the trip it didn't get much better. We did not speak at all. Maybe a hello and that was it. I was becoming soo confused to what was actually happening here...she acted so cold towards the end of the trip and now even more so when we returned home. I found out only after 3months of not talking why...apparently someone (who ever it was I don't really care anymore, because what's done is done and I don't want to lose another friend) told her somethings I said to them about our trip and how it was for me...I honestly told them thinking they would say nothing but it didn't and that was the outcome. What makes me angry is that she couldn't come and talk to me herself, but rather thought 3 months of silence was better....Even to now the close relationship we had is pretty much over and I think we will be civil to one another but I highly doubt it will be as it was before...which is sad but I guess thats the way it was meant to be.




On the bright side I was able to finally visit the "Homeland". Although I did fit in, I stuck out like a sore thumb. First off I can't speak Chinese very well and secondly I just don't look like the sterotypical Chinese in terms of dress and body shape...It is quite funny that everywhere I went everyone thought me to be Chinese (which I am) but were in shock to hear I was from the UK. They were adimant that I was from China, at least somewhere down the line. This is what my conversations went like:

Chinese person: Where are you from?
Me: London, UK
Chinese Person: No really, you look chinese!! You have a chinese face ..where are your parents from?
Me: Mauritius
Chinese Person: Huuh? Where? Where are your Grandparents from?
Me: Oh they're from China
Chinese Person: OH see! There you are chinese! Where are they from?
Me: Mei Xian / Mo yen
Chinese Person: Where?
Me: Its a really tiny village.
Chinese Person: oh...

Ah good times! Bear in mind this took place in very very bad english/mandarin...sometimes I just wish I could speak fluent of better chinese than I can right now..but I guess that doesn't come without some hard work.
But other than that, this was an amazing trip! If I could do this again I would not hesitate in a heart beat! In terms of the people...I met a number of people I would love to remain in contact with and I hope to meet with them soon enough :)

The places I was able to see: The West Lake, Wahaha factory, Tea village, Bamboo gardens and so so much more...all were amazing! I just wish I had a better camera with me so I could really capture the scenes..thats my next task..BUY AN AMAZING CAMERA- something that is affordable for a student =|











No comments:

Post a Comment